10 Things I Hate About You (1999) Rated: PG-13
Starring: Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Larisa Oleynik, David Krumholtz, Andrew Keegan, Gabrielle Union, Larry Miller, Allison Janney
I was flipping through channels today trying to find something decent to watch and “10 Things I Hate About You” was on. No matter how many times I’ve seen it, no matter what mood I’m in, I have to watch this movie. I love it.
Now, I’m not a romantic by any stretch of the imagination but this movie just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I was in 8th grade when this movie came out and I couldn’t help but wonder if that’s what my high school was going to be like? (NO, it wasn’t)
Moviegoers in the late 90’s were forced to sit through a lot of crappy teen romantic comedies that all had roughly the same plot. (“She’s All That,” “Drive Me Crazy”) Yet somehow, over a decade later, “10 Things” is still as good as the first time I saw it.
I know this isn’t the most original idea but here are the 10 things I love about this movie:
10 & 9. Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles as the leading duo.
8. It’s a modern retelling of Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew.”
7. Letters to Cleo’s cover of Cheap Trick’s \”I Want You to Want Me.\”
6. An intelligent debate about the varying degrees of whelmedness.
Chastity: I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?
Bianca: I think you can in Europe.
5. Allison Janney as a school counselor with questionable guidance.
3. Paintball in Seattle’s Gas Works Park.
2. The value of misdirection.
1. Heath Ledger sacrificing himself on the altar of dignity with a brilliant performance of “I Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You.”
If Heath Ledger hadn’t captured your heart before this moment I’m sure it was willing handed over afterwards. Is it too much to ask for a man to bribe a high school marching band, take over the football stadium’s PA system, and sing me a song while outrunning campus security?!? I don’t think so…
- Five Rom-Coms That Don’t Make Me Want To Throw Up [Filmschooled] (jezebel.com)
- Musical Moments from Non-Musical – Song to Make Us Fall in Love (anyclip.com)