Boys don’t get to have all the fun, sometimes it’s up to the woman to take charge and carry the film. Here are some of my favorite movies with a strong female lead.
Olive Pendergast is a modern day Hester Prynn in this “Scarlet Letter” re-telling. She’s smart, funny, and takes control of her own web of lies when they get too out of control.
Thelma and Louise
Tired of their run-of-mill, humdrum lives, these girls go on the road and become masters of their own destinies.
10 Things I Hate About You
Kat Stratford is a tough as nails high schooler who knows exactly what she wants and won’t let anyone stand in her way.
Something was stolen from Beatrix Kiddo (a.k.a. The Bride, a.k.a. Black Mamba) and she won’t rest till she gets it back and revenge on those who took it from her.
Ellen Ripley kicks all sorts of alien ass!
Hit Girl is a pint-size super hero with a mouth as sharp as her weapons.
She may not be the titular character, but where would Harry be without Hermione Granger? Stuck repeating his first year of potions, that’s where.
She may not have a college education or know who the father of her children is, but she knows what’s right and how to help those who have been wronged.
- Flick Chicks: A Guide to Women in the Movies (newyorker.com)
- Thelma, Louise, and the Women of the Road (imamovienerd.wordpress.com)
- Oscars and the Bechdel Test (feministfrequency.com)
- 100 Greatest Female Characters (totalfilm.com)
- Female Character Flowchart (overthinkingit.com)
- Female Archetypes, and the Men Who Love Them (hookingupsmart.com)